- We left Christchurch at 7 AM which seemed appropriate on a hot summer day. Andrew showed up with a 7-seater which wasn’t a bad fit for 7 trampers! Thanks, Andrew, you made the trip very cheap.
- We smashed the sloggy slope of Foggy Peak in phenomenal time, took a wee break on top, and slowed down along the gentle tops of Castle Hill Peak.
- On the way back it got quite cloudy. As we were descending from Foggy Peak, we met a guy who was halfway through the slope wearing flip-flops.
- My main discovery of the day was that in Darfield Hotel pub, a 1 L jug of diet coke with ice is cheaper than a pint of Guinness.
- Good day out, thanks everyone for coming!
Rough stats: 12 km, 5h 30min, 1200 m ascent. The route on NZ Topo Map (download below).
Participants: Michal Klajban (leader, scribe, GPX), Andrew Ecker, Carmela Terrobias, Zack Williams, Richard Kimberley, Chris McHarg, Faith Burnett
Tramped on 29th January 2023.
Max elevation: 1999 m
Min elevation: 942 m